Complete Guide for Switching Your Career in Data Science: Data Analyst Role
- What is the career path of a data analyst?
- How can you become a data analyst?
- Education prerequisites to become a data analyst
- Skills needed to become a data analyst
- Technical skills
- Practical skills
- Soft Skills
- What is the job outlook of data analysts?
- Demand for data analysts in India
- Future of data analyst jobs
- Job growth as a data analyst
- Which are the industries you must consider as a data analyst?
- How do I switch careers to a data analyst?
- Where to look for a job as a data analyst?
- Where to find data analyst job requirements?
- What kind of data analyst organisations to look out for?
The size of the Global Data analytics market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 25% from 2021 to 2030. (Source)
For those considering a career switch to data analytics, this guide will help pave an easy path.
We have mentioned relevant information in this complete guide for switching your career to a data analyst, but we know there are several other resources and information that you might want to consider otherwise.
What is the career path of a data analyst?
A budget analyst or a compensation and benefits analyst can be your starting point to becoming a data analytics professional. But, in any case, if you wish to advance on the data analytics career path here’s what you need to learn in terms of education and skill set requirements.
How can you become a data analyst?
There are a few things you need to know about data analytics careers before making a decision, and here they are.
Education prerequisites to become a data analyst
If you’re interested in becoming a data analyst, a Bachelor’s degree in IT, computer science, or statistics will give you an advantage. But so will equivalent experience in data and business analytics.
If you lack the background and experience, it is still possible to get a data analyst job. There are various ways to learn, such as taking courses or enrolling in a comprehensive online training covering everything from statistics and Excel to SQL, Python, and Tableau.
Skills needed to become a data analyst
As a data analyst, you’ll have plenty of responsibilities on any given day. So, here are some qualifications and skills that can help you become a data analyst and handle the various details that come with your position.
- Programming and coding skills in Python, R, etc.
- Expertise in SQL and knowledge of relational database management systems
- Tableau experience with large data sets
- Excellent Excel skills and the ability to use advanced analytics and formulas
- Extraction and analysis of data across multiple sources
- Knowledge of statistics as well as software programs, methods such as confidence intervals and experimental design, and sampling.
- Predictive modelling, a subset of machine learning that focuses on finding patterns in data and using those results for calculating future behavior.
- Attention to detail and the ability to quality check your own work to ensure data mistakes are caught prior to work delivery.
- Advanced data interpretation analytical skills.
- Ability to stay organised and deliver within the agreed timeframe.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to achieve goals and control tasks without guidance.
- Communicate results of analyses in a clear and effective manner.
- Ensure confidentiality of data and personal integrity.
- Know when it is appropriate to challenge thinking and provide input.
- Prioritisation skills.
- A proactive approach to problem resolution.
- Speedy learning skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Can articulate complex concepts in a clear and precise manner.
- Can collaborate in any work environment effectively.
- Good listening skills.
- Now you are aware of the most important aspects of a data analyst job and how to become one. However, in order to be successful in this career field, you may need additional career advice on top of the skills needed for a data analyst.
What is the job outlook of data analysts?
A data analyst uses tools and techniques to gather, clean, manage and analyse data using statistical analysis. The job outlook for data analysts is positive due to the increasing demand for data analytics.
Demand for data analysts in India
The demand for data analysts in India is high and is expected to grow in the coming years. As per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the data science industry is expected to grow by 28% through 2026, which is a lot faster than the average for all occupations. (Source)
Data analysts are in high demand in various industries such as banking, healthcare, education, insurance and software development.
Future of data analyst jobs
Data analysts will play a vital role in the future. The latest technology like Big Data is becoming more prevalent daily, and there is an increasing demand for data analytics.
There are several opportunities for data analyst jobs, including full-time employment, part-time work or freelance projects.
Job growth as a data analyst
The job growth in data science is about 28% through 2026. The increasing demand for data analytics will lead to more job openings in the future. (Source)
So if you are ready for a challenging and rewarding career, becoming a data analyst may be the perfect shift for you.
Which are the industries you must consider as a data analyst?
Here are some of the industries you can consider as a data analyst:
* Data analysis in the banking sector
Data analysts play an important role in banking sectors like retail, corporate and investment banks. They help banks deliver a better customer experience with analytics and insights about customer behaviour.
* Use of data analytics in the healthcare sector
The use of data analytics has revolutionised the healthcare sector. Data analysts work with various stakeholders such as doctors, nurses, pharmacists and patients to improve patient care. They also use predictive modelling to identify potential health risks.
* Importance of data analytics in the education sector
Data analysts can play a vital role in the education sector. They help educational institutes improve their overall performance by using data analytics and helping them achieve their goals.
* Data analyst roles in the insurance sector
Data analysts work with companies in the insurance sector to increase efficiency, reduce costs and improve customer satisfaction through data analytics. They also use predictive modelling to identify potential risks.
* Role of data analysts in the software development sector
Software development companies are using data analytics to improve their products. Data analysts help these companies by providing insights into customer behaviour and preferences. They also use predictive modelling to identify potential problems and solutions.
How do I switch careers to a data analyst?
If you are looking at a career shift as a data analyst, here are some steps that you can follow:
* Get certified in data analytics
Various universities offer training in data analytics. This is the best way to learn the tools and techniques used by data analysts.
* Gain experience in data management
Data management skills are essential for a successful career in data analytics. You can gain experience in this sector by working as a data analyst or analyst trainee at various organisations.
* Gain expertise in tools and techniques
It would help if you gained expertise in different tools used for data analysis such as R, SAS, Python, SQL etc. These are the most commonly used tools in the data analytics industry.
* Improve your statistical skills
Statistics is an essential skill for data analysts. You can improve your statistical skills by taking online courses or attending workshops conducted by experts.
You can take steps to switch careers to a data analyst. With the right industry-relevant course, training, and hands-on experience, you can become a successful data analyst and enjoy a rewarding career.
Where to find data analyst job requirements?
The best place to find data analyst job requirements are verified job portals. They have a comprehensive list of job requirements for data analysts. You can also check out LinkedIn and other job portals to find the job requirements for data analysts.
Which organisations hire data analysts?
Some of the most popular organisations that hire data analysts are:
- IT and software
The most viable way to experience a rewarding career as a data analyst is to get a professional certification in Data Science. You can also gain experience in data management and improve your statistical skills. RISE WPU offers the best, innovative, industry-relevant, and most affordable PG program in Data Science.